[OpenAFS-devel] afs-newcell

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 1 May 2009 20:14:37 +0100

On 1 May 2009, at 19:19, <kaushik1@illinois.edu>
<kaushik1@illinois.edu> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I used afs-newcell.pl to set up a new cell from source code and I
> got the following error:
>
> debug: localhost.localdomain ip address is 127.0.0.1
> error: Loopback address 127.0.0.1 cannot not be used for server
> localhost.localdomain. Check your /etc/hosts file.
>
> Is it not acceptable to use localhost.localdomain as the
> servername?  Also, I setup the Kerberos realm as LOCALDOMAIN and
> kerberos server as localhost.localdomain.  Is that OK?

You need a 'real' network address. If, as I suspect, you're doing all
of this on a single machine which isn't connected to a real network,
then you can just use one of the addresses in the 192.168.x.x private
network range.

If you're purely setting up Kerberos for the purposes of bringing up
an AFS cell on a single machine, then you'll probably get away with
the Kerberos realm being LOCALDOMAIN (you'll want to call your AFS
cell 'localdomain' too), but it's not generally recommended. Kerberos
can get upset if there isn't a working DNS system behind it.

Cheers,

Simon.