[OpenAFS-devel] Selecting a configuration file format for OpenAFS Services

Robert Banz rob@nofocus.org
Sat, 16 May 2009 10:58:31 -0700

> There are several proposals on the table for additional features that
> require new configuration capabilities.  I believe that it is time
> that
> OpenAFS adopt a configuration file format and library.

I think I could deal with *anything* that isn't XML. ;) In fact,
massive amounts of command line flags aren't too bad to deal with.

However, if our intent is, in the long term, to allow updating of
configuration options without a server restart, then we certainly
should move to a config file format. Both INI and the kerberos config
format would do well for this -- Kerberos does allow for some idea of
inheritance & overrides, which may be desirable -- and it's got the
multi-realm concept which could play nice for sites that are multi-
cell and wish to maintain one configuration file that they push out to
all of their servers & clients.

-rob