[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Gerrit upgrade complete

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:32:11 -0500

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
> --On Monday, October 26, 2009 05:44:42 PM -0500 Andrew Deason
> <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
>
>>> In this case, though, I think Shawn pretty much has a plan to kill
>>> off numerical change IDs.
>>
>> Bah.
>>
>>> The main reason for this is that when gerrit moves to git storage, the
>>> plan is that it will operate as a =A0distributed system. Change IDs
>>> which are particular to a single server won't allow that kind of
>>> distribution to occur.
>>
>> Yes, the centralization of gerrit is what I thought would let them
>> exist. If it's moving towards something else, then okay. I may find it
>> annoying, but okay.
>

> It's not just annoying; it's a serious usability problem. =A0There is val=
ue in
> identifying changes, patches, bugs, commits, etc with identifiers like sm=
all
> integers or short names, because those are easy to remember, recognize, a=
nd
> use in conversation. =A0A SHA-1 hash has none of these properties, and wh=
ile
> it may work fine and even have advantages for following links in a web
> browser or using a git client, it is not appropriate for human
> communication.
>
> I think in this case, usability is more important than having the code
> review system be distributed rather than centralized.

While that may be (and i'd rather have the small change IDs,
personally) the value in not maintaining a forked gerrit is more
important yet.

So, we need to find an answer and not just say "no".

--=20
Derrick