[AFS3-std] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Hackathon Summary

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:02:14 +0000

On 23 Nov 2009, at 08:12, Hartmut Reuter wrote:

> Jeffrey Hutzelman schrieb:
>> --On Friday, October 09, 2009 03:12:14 PM +0100 Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
>> > wrote:
>>> We will rename 'ResidencyMask' to 'DataAccessProtocol' in a revised
>>> version of FetchStatus.
>> Where by "rename", you mean get rid of the old field, and add a new
>> one, with a different name and completely different semantics, and
>> not ever try to claim they are the same field.  Right? Right?
>
> Not exactly: the current OpenAFS fileservers fill this field with
> one which meant the file is on the local_disk residency. For
> backward compatibility also the new field will contain a one for
> plain AFS files in the fileserver's partition. But, of course, the
> meaning of all other values is different to the old use.

For the purposes Jeffrey cares about, though, is is an entirely new
field. We're making a new version of the FetchStatus structure, which
will only be used by new versions of all of the affected RPCs.

S.