[OpenAFS-devel] Splitting out old Linux code

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu, 1 Oct 2009 19:54:54 +0100

I'm in the process of making some fairly deep changes to the Linux
cache manager, in the search of more performance, and I'm worried
about the implications for the 2.4 kernel series. Rather than
scattering the code with yet more #ifdefs, I was wondering how people
would feel about the following proposal.

We create a new directory, src/afs/LINUX24 which is used for builds on
2.4 and earlier kernels. This gets a copy of the current src/afs/
LINUX, stripped of everything that's 2.6 only. src/afs/LINUX then has
all of the code that's only needed for 2.4 and earlier removed from
it. This should both tidy up the Linux directories, and make it less
likely that we'll inadvertently break 2.4 going forwards.

Thoughts?

Simon.