[OpenAFS-devel] Splitting out old Linux code

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 2 Oct 2009 07:21:37 +0100

On 2 Oct 2009, at 01:15, Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) wrote:

> In message <DA039332-7ABD-4C46-9441-7CC9B2960132@inf.ed.ac.uk>,Simon
> Wilkinson writes:
>> I'm in the process of making some fairly deep changes to the Linux
>> cache manager, in the search of more performance, and I'm worried
>> about the implications for the 2.4 kernel series. Rather than
>> scattering the code with yet more #ifdefs, I was wondering how people
>> would feel about the following proposal.
>
> i am against it but there really isnt anything else to do at this
> point.
> in the future, people should try to follow the linux module and keep
> the ifdef maze in a header file somewhere.

This is the way I'd like to see us go too. I think it's too late to
make these kinds of changes across all of the kernel mess we currently
have, but I hope that once 2.4 is split out, we'd be able to do this
to improve the sanity of what's left for 2.6

Cheers,

Simon