[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Hackathon Summary

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 12:22:46 -0500

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 15:12:14 +0100
Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Generic Quotas
> --------------
>
> Christof had raised the issue of providing a more generic quota
> mechanism, which allows more flexible definitions of what quota might
> be (rxosd would like to be able to apply a separate quota to files
> under a certain size, for example)
>
> We discussed implementing this as a set of tag value pairs, with each
> pair having a globally defined meaning. Individual tags need not be
> implemented on every fileserver - there should be an RPC by which
> clients can determine which tags a fileserver supports. We want to
> implement this by revising existing RPCs which take quota values, and
> use it to replace the quota values that those RPCs already contain.
>
> Christof will write a document describing this, but we won't block
> the RPC refresh on it

Upon reading this, I thought, why should we limit this to quotas? Should
we have a more generic extensible volume metadata RPC that can be used
for any volume-related purpose? I would imagine an xattr-like
functionality at the volume level could be potentially useful for
numerous things.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net