[OpenAFS-devel] A crypto layer for OpenAFS

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 16:45:06 +0000

On 9 Oct 2009, at 15:26, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Simon Wilkinson wrote:
>>
>> On 9 Oct 2009, at 14:58, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>>>
>>> To make it incredibly clear that our copy of hcrypto is in fact
>>> readonly and not part of the OpenAFS distribution, I would almost
>>> prefer that we create a separate repository for the third party
>>> components and pull them in as sub-modules from that git repository.
>>
>> The only issue with using submodules is that you need to do more than
>> just a simple git clone to download the whole source tree, and more
>> than
>> just a fetch to update it. That said, there are the benefits you
>> note in
>> the separate repository approach.
>>
>> Simon.
>
> If you can enumerate the additional steps required that would be
> appreciated so that the community that judge whether the additional
> burden will be too onerous.

Instead of just doing a git clone to fetch the repository, you need to
do to
git clone
git submodule update --init

If you move your tree to a point which would have a different version
of the submodule, then you need to explicitly update the submodule to
that version with:
git submodule update

S.