[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Some low-hanging RPC fruit vs long-term needs

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:12:01 -0600

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:13:14 -0500
Steve Simmons <scs@umich.edu> wrote:

> Another useful thing is the config reporter. Given that various
> features are determined at compile time, an RPC that reports these
> (think of it as version++) is useful. As a quick and dirty example of
> uses in other circumstances, take a look at the output of perl -V or
> vim --version. To be more afs-specific, it's be great to know by
> simple probe if a system supports supergroups, dynamic attach, etc.
> Even if all the conf report probe does is dump some plaintext as perl
> and vim do, it's a help.

This is certainly not being blocked by any of the discussions about
protocol behavior or other long-term needs. A first step is just to get
this information inside the binaries themselves. Even before talking
about reporting it on the wire, and even before talking about having a
common -V (or whatever) option to report it, just get it in a string in
the binary, so it shows up in 'strings'. We currently don't have it
anywhere in a user-friendly form.

Discussing how to report it on the wire, as well as all of the other
points you bring up, sounds like a discussion for afs3-std and not
openafs-devel.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net