[OpenAFS-devel] Re: RxTCP6? Re: ipv6 support in AFS protcols?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:43:56 -0600

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 18:22:34 -0600
Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> wrote:

> What if, instead of changing all the RPC's, we continue to use a 32
> bit field, and use some flag to identify RxV6, and then use 24-30 bits
> of what used to be an IP address as an index and/or key for a
> key->IPv6 address mapping structure. Some of the address space would
> be for dynamic mappings, while others would be IDs for a new
> PTserver/Ubik name to IPv6 address mapping...

A semi-similar scheme was already used for adding multihomed hosts in
the VLDB, so I was assuming that a similar thing would be used for the
addresses in VLDB entries; you just make a different call instead of
GetAddrsU to get the actual addresses.

But that's only for the VLDB. For other places, it sounds easier to just
update the structures rather than create a whole new mapping service...
but I haven't really thought it through.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net