[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Strange results from access(F_OK)/stat and caching

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 30 Dec 2010 18:26:29 -0500

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 22:43:33 -0400 (EDT)
Geoffrey Thomas <geofft@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> It's not really clear to me that POSIX permits access(F_OK) to return
> EACCES if all the directories up to that point are searchable (i.e.,
> "l"), and either way the cache-dependent behavior of 0 vs. EACCES is
> confusing.

It should give you an EACCES, but it doesn't. This issue has been known
for awhile, though not everything about it is yet fully understood. Just
changing the CM to return EACCES in this case causes some things to
break, so it's just been left as-is for now.

See:

 - RT 126216
 - This thread:
   <https://www.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-devel/2010-January/017276.html>
 - Commits cda65cda6e60e76be3b546adf9096cb25a7de14e and
   82124f7e85594dabdde218db5a62761d694864ba . You could try cda65c if it
   still applies, and see if it does what you want.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net