[OpenAFS-devel] Re: "openafs" man page

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:42:12 -0500

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:19:34 +0000
> Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>> > Erm, even contributions that don't touch IPL stuff? Not that I can
>> > imagine myself wanting to submit anything under a GPL-y license.
>>
>> Unless the GPL'd code has an additional license clause which
>> specifically permits linking with IPL'd code, you can't distribute an
>> object file which contains code from both licenses. This is a
>> non-starter for our binary packagers.
>
> By not 'touch'ing I meant: does not link against IPL code, is not
> derivative of IPL code, is not copied from IPL code, etc.

Ok. But the likelihood of such a thing being useful in OpenAFS is low,
and besides, lest it be a temptation for an issue to be caused, we
don't want it.

As it is I am going to have to throw away and rewrite the APSL code in
our tree, which thankfully is small and mostly duplicated in a BSD
package Apple has anyway...

--
Derrick