[OpenAFS-devel] Linux atime nits

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Sun, 17 Jan 2010 14:16:33 +0000

On 17 Jan 2010, at 13:48, Marc Aurele La France wrote:

> Any chance of incorporating these into stable?

When we last discussed pullups for 1.4.12, we decided that these were =
too high risk for that release (the changes appeared very late in the =
release cycle). MS_NOATIME is sufficiently large that it doesn't appear =
to conflict with any inode flags, up to and including Linus's current =
kernel, so there doesn't appear to be a risk associated with not taking =
them this time round.

I'd hope that the MS_NOATIME -> S_NOATIME change will land on the 1.4 =
branch immediately after we release 1.4.12, and thus be in 1.4.13. The =
change to the super block flags requires more thought, as the impact is =
potentially far reaching. I'd like to see significantly more testing of =
that change before we commit to it in a stable release.

If you've got any information that challenges this - please let us know. =
In particular, if you can point us at any shipping kernel where the =
MS_NOATIME bit is used as an inode flag, that would be very helpful. =
It's looking like there will be at lease one more release candidate =
before 1.4.12 is finalised.

Cheers,

Simon.