[OpenAFS-devel] Linux atime nits

Marc Aurele La France tsi@ualberta.ca
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:12:01 -0700 (Mountain Standard Time)

--994468-12600-1263838322=:1528

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Derrick Brashear wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Marc Aurele La France <tsi@ualberta.c=
a> wrote:

>>> When we last discussed pullups for 1.4.12, we decided that these were
>>> too high risk for that release (the changes appeared very late in the
>>> release cycle). MS_NOATIME is sufficiently large that it doesn't appe=
ar
>>> to conflict with any inode flags, up to and including Linus's current
>>> kernel, so there doesn't appear to be a risk associated with not taki=
ng
>>> them this time round.

>> Only one more inode flag is needed to create a conflict. =A0Whether or=
 not
>> this occurs before 1.4.13 is released is a risk I gather you are willi=
ng to
>> take. =A0I think it's better to be pro-active.

> The question is "will it happen in a kernel 1.4.12 also doesn't
> support, making the issue somewhat less urgent?".

Humm.  That depends on whether or not a inode flag conflict is the only=20
reason it doesn't.  Incompatible changes to kernel APIs have died down=20
quite a bit of late.

Anyway, I'll continue carrying these changes until I no longer need to.

Marc.

+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310          |
|  Academic Information and        |  fax:    1-780-492-1729          |
|    Communications Technologies   |  email:  tsi@ualberta.ca         |
|  352 General Services Building   +----------------------------------+
|  University of Alberta           |                                  |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |    Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  T6G 2H1                         |                                  |
|  CANADA                          |                                  |
--994468-12600-1263838322=:1528--