[OpenAFS-devel] Re: afsd crashes SLES11 SP1 system

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:44:15 -0500

I assume you're not on the openafs-devel list. It takes a lot longer for
anyone to see list posts from you if you're not on the list, you know...

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 07:04:03 -0500
Frank Bagehorn <FBA@zurich.ibm.com> wrote:

> I digged into the /var/log/messages and found something: Based on this
> I changed the client settings for the memcache. I went from
> "AUTOMATIC" to "65536" (64MB) and that worked. Going up to 96MB worked,
> 128MB crashed the machine again. Tried 97MB and it crashed as well. 96MB
> seems to be the limit.
[...]
>> Jul 23 13:21:00 testinstall kernel: [  736.190179] vmap allocation failed - use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
>> Jul 23 13:21:00 testinstall kernel: [  736.190197] vmalloc size=11000 start=f77fe000 end=feffe000 node=-1 gfp=d2

Your problem is the same as the one here:
<https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2010-July/034100.html>

For whatever reason x86 linux kernels only allow you to vmalloc about
100M of memory if you have around 1G of RAM or more. Either specify
vmalloc=<size> as the message tells you, or use a smaller cache, or use
a disk cache. (Or complain to the linux folks and get them to change/fix
it)

I don't know why the machine locks up, but I'm not sure if that's our
fault... in Claudio's case it seems the machine was fine aside from AFS.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net