[OpenAFS-devel] How to compile RHEL5 RPMs from git

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Sat, 12 Jun 2010 15:01:27 +0100

On 12 Jun 2010, at 13:53, Jason Edgecombe wrote:

> What does --enable-checking do? The acinclude.m4 file says it's for =
sysctl table checking, but I'm still not clear on how that impacts me.

Really?

The copy of acinclude.m4 that I have here says:

[AS_HELP_STRING([--enable-checking],
        [turn compilation warnings into errors when building with gcc =
(defaults
         to disabled)])],

What enable checking does is that it makes any warnings gcc encounters =
into hard errors (which stop the build). It then tells the compiler to =
ignore certain warnings that we've decided are permissible (or which we =
just haven't got round to fixing). A list of the warnings that it =
ignores is in README.WARNINGS at the top level of the source tree.

As an end user, you probably don't need to build with --enable-checking =
- the option was added to allow developers to ensure that they aren't =
adding new warnings into the build when creating new code.

As a developer, the expectation is that you will have checked your code =
builds with --enable-checking before submitting a change to gerrit - =
code which does't pass this test should fail the verification step (and =
definitely will, just as soon as that step is automated)

Cheers,

Simon.