[OpenAFS-devel] 1.6 and post-1.6 OpenAFS branch management and schedule

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:25:53 -0700

Chaz Chandler <clc31@inbox.com> writes:

>> As was pointed out to me in private e-mail, this covers what we're
>> *adding*, but not what we're *removing*, and I should probably say
>> something about that as well.  As above, this is a proposal and isn't
>> final.  Please send feedback to openafs-devel (or openafs-info if that
>> seems better).

> From time to time, there have been rumblings about removing support for
> certain platforms along the way -- is there anything specific in the
> plan, or are these just rumblings?  Is it a matter of keeping a platform
> alive until something big breaks or something new can't be easily
> implemented on it?

By and large, we keep platforms alive until there's just no viable way to
keep them so.  As long as someone cares about the platform enough to test
builds and send patches, I don't think we'd drop something unless there
was something about that platform that was prohibitively hard to maintain.

HP-UX and IRIX are probably the most in jeopardy just because very few
people have the hardware and systems to test either any more, but so far
we still have people willing to test and fix things.

(Well, there's SunOS, but I think we keep support for db servers on SunOS
around mostly so that we can tease Derrick, and that will die when we go
to pthreaded Ubik, I think.)