[OpenAFS-devel] Re: 1.6 and post-1.6 OpenAFS branch management and schedule

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:13:43 -0500

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 18:38:37 -0400
Tom Keiser <tkeiser@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> [1] As Andrew has hinted, inUse checking is necessary, but not
> sufficient, to determine when a volume needs to be salvaged.  One of
> the major changes we made was to redefine inUse so that it flags more
> than just ownership by the fileserver process.  The fact that a volume
> looked quiescent when owned by something other than the file server
> (e.g. volserver, salvager) was a major problem in 1.4...

Er, you may want to look at gerrit 2122, since we're doing that in
non-DAFS 1.5 now. Should we go the other way around? (2122 makes sure
inUse never gets turned on for non-DAFS non-fileserver; should we just
make sure inUse gets cleared for non-fileserver instead?)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net