[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] Re: 1.6 and post-1.6 OpenAFS branch management and schedule

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:35:12 -0500

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:32:18 -0500
"Christopher D. Clausen" <cclausen@acm.org> wrote:

> At the same time, I'd be happy to start doing more testing of the
> various DAFS features, although I'm not quite sure what version I
> should be using for testing, nor am I completely sure how to actually
> migrate an existing file server to use DAFS or if there is a reverse
> path to downgrade if I encounter problems.

http://blog.endpoint.com/2009/06/getting-started-with-demand-attach.html
http://www.dementia.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/DemandAttach

AFSLore doesn't seem to be up right now, but I'm pretty sure that second
link had useful information. I suppose we should have a README.DAFS in
the tree before 1.6, though. I admit that the upgrade (and downgrade)
path is not very seamless, but at this point I'm not sure what can be
done about it.

As to what version... well, master as of the time of this writing
(196d2c7f9e3250008bf6aed2e172ec6d54e4ffb7) has been looking pretty good
to me. I think 1.5.74* had that VScheduleSalvage_r locking issue, so I
wouldn't use that. The next 1.5 release or the 1.6 prereleases will
hopefully be usable, if you want something with a real version on it.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net