[OpenAFS-devel] Re: New volume header field: root DV

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:18:47 -0600

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 16:06:20 -0500
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> On 3/2/2010 3:47 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
>
> > We can only prevent self-foot-shooting so much... but would it be
> > going too far to drop a file in the new root dir, that actually says
> > to not use the volume? Since everything in the dir will be orphans,
> > we shouldn't need to worry about colliding with another filename.
>
> The collision that we need to worry about is one between the filename
> that you will create and one that existed in the directory prior to
> the directory being trashed.

...which is no different than a collision with a filename like
__ORPHANFILE__.X.Y, isn't it?

The dir will be inaccessible to anyone but s:administrators anyway. I
would hope at least the administrators pay enough attention to notice
something like this.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net