[OpenAFS-devel] [GSoC 2010] Encrypted storage

Sanket Agarwal sanket@sanketagarwal.com
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:18:40 +0530

--001485f5b10e0e3e4404827a960f

Hi Guys,

Introduction: This is Sanket Agarwal, Third Year Undergraduate Student of
the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of
Technology, Kharagpur( India ). I am an open source enthusiast as well as
interested in theoretical computer science. OpenAFS has excited me as a
place where I *really* want to work. I specifically chose the Encrypted
Storage proposal( Mentor ? ) due to following reasons:

   - The problem of Data Security at the Server Side( Along with encrypted
   data packets over the server ) is crucial for any enterprise which wishes to
   buy services at systems not their own.
   - Providing restricted services b/w client devices gives a lot of
   flexibility to the infrastructure.

This was just as described in the proposal, but I would like to tell why I
got interested in this project:

   - I have taken a course on Number Theory followed by one on Cryptography
   and Network security(
   http://www.cse-web.iitkgp.ernet.in/~debdeep/courses_iitkgp/Crypto/index.htm<http://www.cse-web.iitkgp.ernet.in/%7Edebdeep/courses_iitkgp/Crypto/index.htm>).
I am well aware of state-of-art cryptography in a theoretical sense.
   - Interestingly enough I contested for a Software Development
   competition, inspired by my Crypto prof. I completed it. Here's a
   description of the project: http://www.sanketagarwal.com/blog/?p=32. In a
   nutshell it is titled "Pen Drive Security system." The aim is to prepare a
   Security system for pendrives which can boot from within a pendrive and
   implement a user friendly secure system. Functions like user accounts,
   master account etc were implemented. UI was coded in GTK-+2.0
   - I am familiar with C coding, here's a small snapshot of the Jarvis
   March algorithm I coded in my naive days for a Algorithms course :D.
   http://code.google.com/p/jarvismarch.

I would like to know where to start preparing, it would be helpful if you
can suggest me pointers to the following:

   - Where can I learn about the present encryption methodology used in
   OpenAFS for packet encryption and which module shall have the relevant code
   section ? This can give me an insight about what can be a good way to do
   Server side encryption!
   - Also, a design needs to be worked out in order to allow selective data
   sharing through management of user/data keys. I will go through the
   documentation of OpenAFS to suggest a solution, but pointers/help is greatly
   appreciated.
   - Who'll be likely mentoring this project, it'll be helpful if I can
   address the demands of the mentor as he would know the requirements best!

Hope we rock!

Regards
Sanket
sanketagarwal.com/blog/

--001485f5b10e0e3e4404827a960f

Hi Guys,<br><br>Introduction: This is Sanket Agarwal, Third Year Undergradu=
ate Student of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian I=
nstitute of Technology, Kharagpur( India ). I am an open source enthusiast =
as well as interested in theoretical computer science. OpenAFS has excited =
me as a place where I *really* want to work. I specifically chose the Encry=
pted Storage proposal( Mentor ? ) due to following reasons:<br>

rypted data packets over the server ) is crucial for any enterprise which w=
ishes to buy services at systems not their own.</li><li>Providing restricte=
d services b/w client devices gives a lot of flexibility to the infrastruct=
ure.<br>
 course on Number Theory followed by one on Cryptography and Network securi=
ty( <a href=3D"http://www.cse-web.iitkgp.ernet.in/%7Edebdeep/courses_iitkgp=
/Crypto/index.htm">http://www.cse-web.iitkgp.ernet.in/~debdeep/courses_iitk=
gp/Crypto/index.htm</a> ). I am well aware of state-of-art cryptography in =
a theoretical sense.<br>
</li><li>Interestingly enough I contested for a Software Development compet=
ition, inspired by my Crypto prof. I completed it. Here&#39;s a description=
 of the project: <a href=3D"http://www.sanketagarwal.com/blog/?p=3D32">http=
://www.sanketagarwal.com/blog/?p=3D32</a>. In a nutshell it is titled &quot=
;Pen Drive Security system.&quot; The aim is to prepare a Security system f=
or pendrives which can boot from within a pendrive and implement a user fri=
endly secure system. Functions like user accounts, master account etc were =
implemented. UI was coded in GTK-+2.0</li>
<li>I am familiar with C coding, here&#39;s a small snapshot of the Jarvis =
March algorithm I coded in my naive days for a Algorithms course :D. <a hre=
f=3D"http://code.google.com/p/jarvismarch">http://code.google.com/p/jarvism=
arch</a>.</li>
</ul>I would like to know where to start preparing, it would be helpful if =
arn about the present encryption methodology used in OpenAFS for packet enc=
ryption and which module shall have the relevant code section ? This can gi=
ve me an insight about what can be a good way to do Server side encryption!=
</li><li>Also, a design needs to be worked out in order to allow selective =
data sharing through management of user/data keys. I will go through the do=
cumentation of OpenAFS to suggest a solution, but pointers/help is greatly =
appreciated.</li>
<li>Who&#39;ll be likely mentoring this project, it&#39;ll be helpful if I =
can address the demands of the mentor as he would know the requirements bes=
/sanketagarwal.com/blog/">sanketagarwal.com/blog/</a><br>

--001485f5b10e0e3e4404827a960f--