[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [GSoC 2010] Encrypted storage

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:03:48 -0500

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:29:22 -0400
Tom Keiser <tkeiser@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> I think a great deal of value could come out of the design of a thin
> abstraction that would allow us, over time, to back the crypto
> routines with whatever is available.

Sure; I think a case could be made that such a thing could even be an
entirely separate module, and doesn't need to be that related to AFS.

But is that in scope for a project like this? Or alternatively, does
anyone else have time to create it so this project could use it?

> Once we have a good API for the CM code to call, it's perfectly
> reasonable (and perhaps even preferable from a portability standpoint)
> to make the first implementation of our API a userspace upcall to e.g.
> OpenSSL, or a pkcs11 library.  We can always revisit the issue later
> and provide targeted in-kernel implementations of the API on platforms
> where people care enough to do the work.

Okay, but is it still reasonable before such an API exists? It doesn't
sound like a fun position to be in if the project has a dependency that
OpenAFS does not fulfill yet. Unless creating it is in scope...

If that approach is taken, I think care should be taken that you don't
'cheat' with the userspace stuff (i.e., do anything besides the
encryption itself; such as encryption configuration or key requisition).
Since the more that is done in userspace, the more will need to be
re-done in kernelspace.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net