[OpenAFS-devel] [GSoC2010] - Implementing Microsoft's Safe String (StrSafe.h) Library for UNIX/Linux

Tharidu Fernando tharidufernando@gmail.com
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 23:04:59 +0530

--00504502b659cdc0af0482dfd04e

Hello again,

Since you said that the MSDN documentation will be the specification,
however I find in their prototypes the use of HRESULT, __in , __out, __inout
 which is a implemented by Microsoft specifically.

So in the UNIX/Linux implementation how this be handled?

Thanks,

Regards,
Tharidu Fernando

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Jeffrey Altman <
jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> On 3/25/2010 1:22 PM, Tharidu Fernando wrote:
> > Hi Everybody!
>
> Welcome to OpenAFS.
>
> > I'm Tharidu Fernando, a second year undergraduate student of University
> > of Colombo School of Computing (Sri Lanka) following the Computer
> > Science degree.
>
> Another member of the OpenAFS community, Asanka Herath, is also from
> Columbo although he currently resides in the U.S.
>
> > I'm really interested in the project of implementing Microsoft's Safe
> > String library for UNIX/Linux which serves as a function in OpenAFS.
>
> Excellent!
>
> > I love that project idea because as a student im doing lots of projects
> > in C language(data structures and algorithms , string manipulation, ..)
> > and often face problems with the current C String manipulation library.
> > As to OpenAFS - this will enable safer code and also improve code
> > quality. As i understand this will benefit the Open Source Community a
> > lot also.
> >
> > I'm currently studying the Microsoft implementation. But I would like to
> > who will be mentoring this project and where to get started! And also
> > code conventions.
>
> I will be the primary mentor for this project but as with all of the
> OpenAFS GSoC projects, there will be many members of the community
> available to assist you.
>
> The best place to get started is to read the MSDN references were
> listed as part of the project description.  Even though Microsoft
> provides the source code to their implementation as part of the
> Visual Studio C Runtime Library source code, you may not look at
> their implementation for this project.   It is very important that
> this implementation of the library be implemented only by looking
> at the MSDN documentation.
>
> I believe the MSDN documentation is complete enough to use as a
> specification.  I would start with the single byte character
> version of the functions and then once those are complete look
> to implement the Unicode versions.
>
> There is a coding style guide for OpenAFS at
>
> http://www.dementia.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/CodingStyle
>
> Please ask any questions you might have.
>
> Jeffrey Altman
> OpenAFS Gatekeeper

--00504502b659cdc0af0482dfd04e

will be the specification, however I find in their prototypes the use of HR=
ESULT, __in , __out, __inout</div><div>=A0which is a implemented by Microso=
ft specifically.=A0</div>
010 at 8:48 AM, Jeffrey Altman <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jalt=
man@secure-endpoints.com" target=3D"_blank">jaltman@secure-endpoints.com</a=
>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On 3/25/2010 1:22 PM, Tharidu Fernando wrote=
:<br>
&gt; Hi Everybody!<br>
Welcome to OpenAFS.<br>
&gt; I&#39;m Tharidu Fernando, a second year undergraduate student of Unive=
rsity<br>
&gt; of Colombo School of Computing (Sri Lanka) following the Computer<br>
&gt; Science degree.<br>
br>
Columbo although he currently resides in the U.S.<br>
&gt; I&#39;m really interested in the project of implementing Microsoft&#39=
;s Safe<br>
&gt; String library for UNIX/Linux which serves as a function in OpenAFS.<b=
r>
&gt; I love that project idea because as a student im doing lots of project=
s<br>
&gt; in C language(data structures and algorithms , string manipulation, ..=
)<br>
&gt; and often face problems with the current C String manipulation library=
.<br>
&gt; As to OpenAFS - this will enable safer code and also improve code<br>
&gt; quality. As i understand this will benefit the Open Source Community a=
&gt; lot also.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;m currently studying the Microsoft implementation. But I would l=
ike to<br>
&gt; who will be mentoring this project and where to get started! And also<=
br>
&gt; code conventions.<br>
br>
OpenAFS GSoC projects, there will be many members of the community<br>
available to assist you.<br>
The best place to get started is to read the MSDN references were<br>
listed as part of the project description. =A0Even though Microsoft<br>
provides the source code to their implementation as part of the<br>
Visual Studio C Runtime Library source code, you may not look at<br>
their implementation for this project. =A0 It is very important that<br>
this implementation of the library be implemented only by looking<br>
at the MSDN documentation.<br>
I believe the MSDN documentation is complete enough to use as a<br>
specification. =A0I would start with the single byte character<br>
version of the functions and then once those are complete look<br>
to implement the Unicode versions.<br>
There is a coding style guide for OpenAFS at<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.dementia.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/CodingStyle</a=
Please ask any questions you might have.<br>
Jeffrey Altman<br>
OpenAFS Gatekeeper<br>

--00504502b659cdc0af0482dfd04e--