[OpenAFS-devel] FreeBSD build process

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Tue, 18 May 2010 16:15:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 May 2010, Aditya Sarawgi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While building openafs on FreeBSD I get a error related to opt_global.h
> for which I need to make a softlink at /usr/src/sys/${CPUARCH}/compile/GENERIC
> pointing to /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC and then the build succeeds. So I would
> like to ask is there any specific reason to use /usr/src/sys/${CPUARCH}/compile/GENERIC
> instead of /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC directly because by default freebsd doesn't creates
> a softlink over there.

It looks like the /usr/src/sys/${CPUARCH}/compile/GENERIC path dates back
to the first addition of that code, back in the FreeBSD 4.X days when you
would still run 'config' manually to configure a kernel.  We should update
acinclude.m4 (BSD_KERNEL_PATH) for the modern "buildkernel" method of
building a kernel.

For now, instead of making a symlink, I would recommend passing the
--with-bsd-kernel-headers or --with-bsd-kernel-build options to configure.

-Ben Kaduk