[OpenAFS-devel] rxk5 - may 2010

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Tue, 25 May 2010 02:17:38 -0400

I had promised to have a fully separated set of patches
for rxk5 by now.  I don't, which is perhaps a good thing.

1. at workshop this week
2. rxk5 nearterm schedule
3. hackathon issues
4. revising the rxk5 paper

____ 1. at workshop this week

So, the good news is I'll be at the OpenAFS workshop this week.  If you
want to talk to me about something here's your chance.  I'll be driving
down and back.  On friday I'll have a fairly tight schedule
since I hope to wind up in Rochester NY very late that night.

____ 2. rxk5 nearterm schedule

So far as rxk5 goes -

I expect to have a tarball containing m83 this week.  Was hoping to get
that at least done before the workshop, but, well, sleep is probably
the best thing now.

The next thing I'll be doing is partially separated patches.  That is,
a set of patches to go from the base version to rxk5.  That will be
nominally "cvs head 2009/06/21" which is nearly but not exactly 1.5.61.
These will probably be a small number of *big* patches, I'm not going
to put a lot of work into separating things for this.

The next thing after that will be to port rxk5 forward to 1.5.74.
I expect some of those changes will overlap what I've got in weird
ways, which is the big reason I don't want to put much time into patch
microsplitting before this.

____ 3. hackathon issues

So far as other stuff goes.

At last fall's hackathon and eu workshop, a number of issues got raised:

1. authenticator max_calls.  I think I should have seen a proposal or
test release for this by now?

2. prf rfc 4402.  Want to look into this, haven't yet.

3. initial packet enc.  Leaving this for rxgk.

4. k5ssl.  I've heard confusing stories about what's happening with
heimdal / hcrypto / afs, waiting to see what winds up in the tree.

5. ubik_SRXServerProcV2.  ya ya ya.  Ok, maybe I'll be putting m84 out
above, if I didn't remember to do this.

6. cell_max.  "		"		"

7. cm properties.  I'll probably punt on this.	What I have now works.

8. way for app to add data to authenticator.  I may put this off for
later, such as combining it with some form of callback channel protection
or some such.

9. one fileserver at a time conversion.  I spent some time thinking
about this.  While many parts look easy, the middle bit started looking
more and more like rxgk.  Since the rxgk folks will be doing this anyways,
I'm not seeing a lot of value to duplicating what I understand they'll
have done by september.

____ 4. revising the rxk5 paper

Also I should put together some form of revised rxk5 paper.  I know
various folks have pointed out various minor issues; but other than what
I wrote down at the hackathon I have no other recollection what those
issues are.  If folks could forward those issues to me I'd be grateful.

Hope to see all you folks at the workshop!

					-Marcus Watts