[OpenAFS-devel] qemu arm slave for buildbot

Phillip Moore w.phillip.moore@gmail.com
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:20:57 -0400

--00163642715ebc27630494137814

Doesn't look too terribly difficult to set up, but I don't have much in the
way of hardware to offer.   Is there any reason we can't use VMs for these
build machines?    I could probably setup the x86_64 platforms as VMs, if
that works, and offer them as part of the buildbot network, unless these
platforms need to be bare metal.

I run my EFS development environment exclusively on VMs, and the host OS is
MacOS X on a MacMini.   The actual platforms I run as VMs include both i386
and x86_64 versions of CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu and FreeBSD, all via VMWare
Fusion.

Is such an environment considered a reasonable platform for the buildbit
network?

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Phillip Moore <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious why the i386 Linux distros are considered Tier 1, yet you
> don't
> > say anything about x86_64.   Coming from the world of financial
> computing,
> > where we run just about everything on x86_64 hardware, I'm surprised you
> > only mention i386.
> > Seems to me that what is most important is really the OS distro in this
> case
> > (Debian, RHEL) and both i386 and x86_64 versions should be tested as Tier
> 1
> > platforms.
>
> Me too. Here's how you can add some:
> http://wiki.openafs.org/AFSLore/BuildbotSlaveHowto/

--00163642715ebc27630494137814

&#39;t have much in the way of hardware to offer. =A0 Is there any reason w=
e can&#39;t use VMs for these build machines? =A0 =A0I could probably setup=
 the x86_64 platforms as VMs, if that works, and offer them as part of the =
buildbot network, unless these platforms need to be bare metal.<div>
 the host OS is MacOS X on a MacMini. =A0 The actual platforms I run as VMs=
 include both i386 and x86_64 versions of CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu and FreeBS=
D, all via VMWare Fusion.</div>
ov 2, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Derrick Brashear <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"ma=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div class=3D"im">On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:=
12 AM, Phillip Moore &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:w.phillip.moore@gmail.com">w.phi=
llip.moore@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;m curious why the i386 Linux distros are considered Tier 1, yet =
you don&#39;t<br>
&gt; say anything about x86_64. =A0 Coming from the world of financial comp=
uting,<br>
&gt; where we run just about everything on x86_64 hardware, I&#39;m surpris=
ed you<br>
&gt; only mention i386.<br>
&gt; Seems to me that what is most important is really the OS distro in thi=
s case<br>
&gt; (Debian, RHEL) and both i386 and x86_64 versions should be tested as T=
ier 1<br>
&gt; platforms.<br>
blank">http://wiki.openafs.org/AFSLore/BuildbotSlaveHowto/</a><br>

--00163642715ebc27630494137814--