[OpenAFS-devel] Re: afsd crashes SLES11 SP1 system

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Sun, 03 Oct 2010 17:56:04 +0200 (CEST)

> I digged into the /var/log/messages and found something:
> Based on this I changed the client settings for the memcache. I went from
> "AUTOMATIC" to "65536" (64MB) and that worked. Going up to 96MB worked,
> 128MB crashed the machine again. Tried 97MB and it crashed as well. 96MB
> seems to be the limit.

There is a limit how much kernel memory you can allocate (that is what
memcache does) on 32bit Linux. That number is _much_ bigger on 64bit
Linux.

I think it should refuse to start instead of crashing. Another route to take
would be "disc cache" in tmpfs, but I don't know if that works nowadays.

Harald.