[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Choice of C compiler on AIX

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 4 Oct 2010 15:40:42 -0500

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 16:13:46 -0400
Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:11:31 +0100
> > Simon Wilkinson <simon@sxw.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> AIX is the only platform on which we use a different C compiler
> >> binary to build against pthreads - xlc_r, rather than cc.
> >>
> >> Is there any reason that we couldn't just use xlc_r to build both
> >> LWP and pthread targets?
> >
> > I wouldn't be the one to know about this, but... I thought the only
> > difference between xlc_r and xlc
>
> sure, but this is xlc versus vc (VAC cc)

Er, yeah. Somehow I read xlc, not cc. Isn't that still the case there,
though? On the AIX box I tried, the cc in my path is still a hard link
to xlc_r (and xlc, etc etc) with just different settings in
/etc/vac.cfg.* .

My point is, I thought these were just convenient different invocations,
or a way to make the different invocations configurable. They're all the
same compiler; invoking the same name may just mean we need to twiddle
the flags.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net