[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Building binary rpms for 1.5.77

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 07 Oct 2010 14:58:12 -0700

Phillip Moore <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm about to submit another patch, but is it *really* necessary to
> create a branch even for one-liners like this one?  Is there a problem
> if I submit a patch against the head of origin/master?

> Just trying to be lazy...

I'm lazy like that all the time.  I usually just do small patches against
my local master branch and push them from there.  When you do that,
they'll show up in Gerrit as having a dependency on any previous
as-yet-unmerged patches, which is what having a separate branch protects
against.  But the current version of Gerrit is smart enough to be able to
merge patches out of order despite supposed dependencies if there isn't a
real dependency, so it mostly doesn't matter.