[OpenAFS-devel] Issue building 1.5.77 rpms for i386

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 8 Oct 2010 12:26:55 -0400

On 8 Oct 2010, at 11:37, Phillip Moore wrote:

> No, the problem is that the openafs.spec file behaves a little wierd =
for the i386 and i686 targets.  I confess to not really understand the =
practical difference here.

Historically, all RedHat operating systems built userspace binaries for =
the i386 architecture, and kernel modules for i586 and i686. Due to the =
way that RPM worked, that would require two passes, one for the i386 =
target and the other for i686. As it was most likely that if you were =
building for i386 you wanted the user space, and for i686 that you =
wanted kernel modules, the spec file was wired that way.

This is all changing, though. Current Fedoras build all packages for =
i686 (in the same way as happens for x86_64), so we should probably =
change the spec file to not have this default behaviour. All of the =
OpenAFS builds come through the build system, which overrides the spec =
file defaults, which is why we haven't noticed these problems.

Patches are, as always, welcome!

S.