[OpenAFS-devel] Linux debug symbols for kernel modules and cache manager

Marc Dionne marc.c.dionne@gmail.com
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 12:10:48 -0400

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Edgecombe, Jason <jwedgeco@uncc.edu> wrote:
> Understood. I still need the kernel modules debug symbols for my purposes... however I can get them. Patches may come later.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

You can pass the --enable-debug-kernel to configure, which should add
-g at the right places while building the kernel module.  I typically
always configure with --enable-debug (for userspace) and
--enable-kernel-debug.

Your kernel build system may also automatically add -g if
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is set in the kernel .config that's installed with
the kernel-devel package.  For instance on a RHEL 5 system I just
looked at, this is the case, so you will always get debugging symbols
in the module even without --enable-kernel-debug.

Marc