[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] Documentation for fs precache

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:52:47 -0400

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 7:27 AM, Phillip Moore
<w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would you accept a patch that introduces two new fs commands:
>
> =A0=A0 =A0fs getprecache
> =A0=A0 =A0fs setprecache
> and that "hides" the precache command? =A0IOW, precache will work, but it=
 will
> not show up in fs help output. =A0This introduces a new pair of get/set
> commands, and would give admins the ability to query the value, and
> therefore manage it.
> Alternately, fs precache can be modified to display the value when no
> arguments are provided, instead of generate a syntax error like it does
> right now.

Either is fine. A hidden deprecated command might be better in 1.6
(documented as existing but deprecated) and the master can simply not
have the command at all so that when 1.next hits, ti's already gone.

> There's a lack of consistency in the fs commands, but my personal prefere=
nce
> is for get/set commands when we add new features, as opposed to a single
> command for both setting and querying something.
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrot=
e:

>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Phillip Moore
>> <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Another fs command I can't find any documentation for: =A0fs precache
>> > In this case, it appears that there's no way to query the value. =A0 T=
his
>> > seems like bad interface design to me. =A0If there's a mechanism for
>> > setting
>> > an important value that changes the behavior of the client, there has =
>> > be
>> > a mechanism for querying that value. =A0Otherwise, you can't manage it=
.
>> > =A0Write-only, read-never parameters are very bad.
>> > Looking at the code in src/venus/fs.c, it looks to me like this *shoul=
d*
>> > have been implemented as a pair of CLI commands: setprecache and
>> > getprecache, and in fact, that should be straight forward, and fully
>> > backwards compatible.
>>
>> Probably. And I take blame for that.
>>
>> > Is this another bleeding edge feature that the authors thought wasn't
>> > important enough to write a man page for?
>>
>> No.
>>

>> --
>> Derrick

--=20