[OpenAFS-devel] Issues with my precache patch (was: Documentation for fs precache)

Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:08:54 -0400

--------------enig2B823621B999F3225145D219

On 10/19/2010 2:02 PM, Phillip Moore wrote:
>=20
> That means I will need a new kernel module installed in order to test
> this, doesn't it?
>=20
> Is there anything I need to worry about if I change
>  DECL_PIOCTL(PPrecache) to behave more
> like DECL_PIOCTL(PSetCachingThreshold)?
>=20
> The change seems pretty obvious, but this is the first time (OK, in
> about 13 years) that I've touched any of the code in the kernel module.=
 =20

Be very careful about modifying pioctls.  They are effectively RPCs and
you can't be sure that the clients (userland fs) and servers (kernel
modules) will be updates at the same time.  You are in most cases going
to need to request the allocation of new pioctl numbers from the
registrar and implement the revised pioctl independently from the
existing implementation which might or might not be removed.

Jeffrey Altman