[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] Re: Latest docs on building the OpenAFS source code

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:40:16 -0400 (EDT)

[moving to -devel from -info, and delayed a few weeks to boot ...]

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010, Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> On 2 Oct 2010, at 20:04, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
>> "Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR)" <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
>>
>>> i suspect openafs should be prefixing its build vars with AFS_
>>> (or OPENAFS_) so that users can overload the 'standard' variabales.
>>> i believe this needs revisited anyway since i am not sure the existing
>>> variables are even used consistently.
>
> I'm working on a patch which allows CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to pass through
> unmolested. On Linux and Mac OS X, we already respect the CC variable
> for user space builds.

I assume this patch turned into gerrit/2896 ?
It seems that this change is the likely culprit for my broken FBSD build.
The short form is:
cc -O2 -pipe -ggdb3 -fno-strict-aliasing -c y.tab.c -o error_table.o
error_table.y:2:23: error: afsconfig.h: No such file or directory
error_table.y:3:23: error: afs/param.h: No such file or directory

A log of the failed portion of the build is at
/afs/sipb.mit.edu/user/kaduk/freebsd/openafs/build-failure.txt, with the
'make -d A' output.  Let me know if you want the configure output, too.

Insight into why I'm not actually getting any include flags for what
should be an AFS_LDRULE operation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben