[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Avoid mixed use of Win32/CRTL in the servers

Derrick Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:08:00 -0500

On Jan 21, 2011, at 3:45 AM, "Rod Widdowson" <rdw@steadingsoftware.com> wrot=
e:

>>> 1) Redirect IO through the afs_XXXX operations.
>>=20
>> Not OS_OPEN &co?
>=20
> Good point.  I'll do that.
>=20
> Meantime I've also spelunked through the code some more...
>=20
> What is the expectation about afs_open and friends - such as afs_stat whic=
h is used in some places to mean both the function and the
> struct..
>=20
> I would like to leave afs_open defined as "use the c run time library" and=
 reserve it logging and so forth;  then use OS_XXX for
> [meta]data IO.  Converting logging to Win32 CamelCase code would be tediou=
s to say the least and would not affect the issues that we
> have between mixing io between the c run time library and the windows one.=

>=20
> Equally I'm slightly nervous about wholesale conversion of afs_open to OS_=
OPEN.  Maybe it safest to just do it in the paths which
> are compiled for the Windows build?
>=20
> Also, for my information, why are OS_XXXX defined in ihandles.h? historica=
l?
>=20

OS, IH, and FDH was done to abstract I/O so the fileserver could have multip=
le backends first, and then, run on multiple types of platform.

All are thus conflated in the vol package