[OpenAFS-devel] Gerrit conflict resolution

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:58:10 +0000

I've just changed the way that gerrit resolves path conflicts when
merging changes. This probably only really affects the gatekeepers,
but I thought I should flag it generally, in case it starts to cause
problems.

In the past, when gerrit attempted to merge a change to a file which
had been modified since that change was created, it would fail the
merge and return an error message. In a large number of cases, all
that was necessary to resolve this error was a simple git rebase,
followed by resubmission. Gerrit's merge algorithm has now been
improved so that it is able to handle merging multiple changes to
different areas of the same file, removing the need for this trivial
rebase in a large number of cases.

We're now running with this improved merge algorithm. Please let me
know if it seem to cause any issues.

Cheers,

Simon.