[OpenAFS-devel] Re: vos delentry -noexecute vs. -dryrun

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Wed, 18 May 2011 16:55:41 -0400

On 5/18/2011 4:34 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 13:24:19 -0700
> Russ Allbery<rra@stanford.edu>  wrote:
>
>>> doc/man-pages/README says:
>>
>>> * Document vos delentry -noexecute. Should this option
>>>    also be renamed to -dryrun like others?
>>
>>> Can I do those 2 things as a first effort to get
>>> myself up and familiar with OpenAFS development,
>>> git, gerrit, etc ?
>>
>> Sure, absolutely.  Note that the second one is a proposed change to
>> the vos command itself, rather than the documentation; I don't know if
>> you meant tackling that in addition.

Yes, I intended both.

> And such a change should keep delentry -noexecute around for
> compatibility.

How about allowing both as you suggest, but also
marking the 'vos delentry' help as:

     -noexecute   (deprecated, same as -dryrun)
     -dryrun      show what would be done, but don't do it

And an opened ticket with milestone 1.7 to get rid
of -noexecute ?

This raises another issue.  Across the commands allowing
-dryrun, here are the explanations:

   -dryrun     report without updating

   -dryrun     no action

   -dryrun     only list what would be done, don't do it

I'd like to settle on:

   list what would be done, don't do it

May I make that change as well across the commands
where -dryrun is allowed?