[OpenAFS-devel] Re: idle dead timeout processing in clients

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:25:48 -0600

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:53:03 -0500
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@your-file-system.com> wrote:

> 1.  The use of the RX_CALL_DEAD error to indicate an idle peer
>     does not provide enough information to the cache manager for
>     it to respond in a sensible manner.  RX_CALL_DEAD is an
>     indication that the peer is not responding and should be marked
>     "down" until the next server probe.

The 1.4 unix client will get an RX_CALL_TIMEOUT error on an idle call,
will it not? Why would we ever use RX_CALL_DEAD ?

> For 1.6.1 we propose that:
>
> 1.  Since client side idle peer detection is inherently broken that
>     it be disabled entirely on Unix clients.

Meaning... a call against a hanging fileserver will block forever? That
does not sound very acceptable; it sounds like a 1.4 regression.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net