[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Shared libraries and the 'make dest' target

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 12:57:55 -0400

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:20:50 -0400
> Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> and make install DESTDIR= doesn't capture the actual install
>> locations. tho, --enable-transarc-paths is basically already the
>> configure switch you'd want for this
>
> If 'make dest' is only used with transarc paths in practice (which I
> thought was the case)... I don't see the problem? Transarc paths are
> known in advance.

sort of. the package you get from it is according to documentation to
be installed
at /usr/afsws, but nothing stops you from /usr/local, /opt/local,
whatever... unless
you have internal shared library dependencies, in which case the user
needs to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
or equivalent. ick.

but it's fine for the make install case, with --enable-transarc-paths
deciding what the
remainder of the paths are as long as the build is internally static.

--
Derrick