[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Shared libraries and the 'make dest' target

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 6 Sep 2011 13:12:35 -0400

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 12:57:55 -0400
> Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> sort of. the package you get from it is according to documentation to
>> be installed at /usr/afsws, but nothing stops you from /usr/local,
>> /opt/local, whatever... unless you have internal shared library
>> dependencies, in which case the user needs to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
>> equivalent. ick.
>
> I'm just saying I've never seen an installation where someone uses 'make
> dest' and puts the results anywhere besides the standard /usr/afs,
> /usr/vice, /usr/afsws, etc (except maybe the environments that already
> have their own special workarounds). It doesn't seem like a great loss
> to me to lose that ability. But I'm not objecting to keeping it; I'm not
> the one doing the work.

/usr/afs and /usr/vice yes, but i have never deliberately set up a
system which uses /usr/afsws.

the work to support building static binaries is trivial compared to
what else is to be done:
if you just don't install the shared libraries into TOP_LIBDIR in the
make all step, nothing will
find them to link. all done.

--
Derrick