[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Shared libraries and the 'make dest' target

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 06 Sep 2011 11:18:26 -0700

Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> writes:

> sort of. the package you get from it is according to documentation to be
> installed at /usr/afsws, but nothing stops you from /usr/local,
> /opt/local, whatever... unless you have internal shared library
> dependencies, in which case the user needs to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
> equivalent. ick.

On some platforms (I think mostly only ELF) you can set an LD_RUN_PATH
relative to $ORIGIN and still have a relocatable tree with shared
libraries.  I'm not sure it's worth the effort to do, though, since it's
not portable to all our platforms.