[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Fuse and testsuite

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 25 Sep 2011 16:24:52 -0700

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:

> You can also go the route that Derrick suggested where we use the
> existing rmtsys mechanism (which is usually used to forward pioctls to
> another machine). That is, you have a special pseudo-file
> /foo/afs/.something, the contents of which are something like
> localhost:1234, which is the address and port of the rmtsys daemon to
> connect to. Then utilities open /foo/afs/.something, and forward pioctls
> to the indicated rmtsys daemon (this is done in e.g. pioctl() in
> sys/rmtsysc.c; we call lpioctl for local pioctls and fall through for
> the remote calls). I think this method may be the easiest way forward
> conceptually, and has the least amount of code to add if rmtsysd for
> libuafs already works. I don't think rmtsysd does already work for
> libuafs, but maybe making it function is not much work.

Be aware that supporting rmtsysd in a libkafs library that isn't inside
the OpenAFS build tree is painful, since it requires pulling in a whole Rx
stack and dealing with all the weirdness of linking to AFS's libraries.
Heimdal's libkafs or the embedded kafs library in some of my packages will
not work in an AFS environment that requires rmtsysd support.

OpenAFS aklog should work, though.