[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Fuse and testsuite

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:16:50 -0400

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 00:28:25 +0100
Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> At the moment, the only user of that functionality is the NFS
> translator, which is becoming unsupportable on today's operating
> systems.

If by "today's operating systems" you mean "Linux" then sure. But then,
arguably so is the OpenAFS kernel client in general.

> Having support for rmtsys on the client side adds a lot of complexity
> to our code. It would be nice to consider a world in which we can
> build OpenAFS without it.

If you want the _option_ to turn it off, then fine, but I don't think
that really affects afsd.fuse (which is currently far from "core
functionality", so I don't think the dependency adds much). I mean, we
want a way to sort of "redirect" pioctls somewhere else; rmtsys is
exactly what that is, so... use it. If there are problems with it, fix
them.

Getting rid of rmtsys entirely is definitely not an option in my opinion
due to the use it gets, at least for the forseeable future.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net