[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Making supergroups default to on

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 14:20:17 -0500

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:14:14 -0500
Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> As I recall, the main objections to enabling it seems to be the
> quality of code. I'm curious. What would it take to fix the
> objections?

>From what I recall, the code relies heavily on aliasing that gcc warns
about (that is, casting pointers to different structures) and does some
strange things with pointer bits. While the warnings themselves don't
necessarily mean that the code is 'bad', getting rid of the warnings
properly would probably involve the desired improvements.

I'm not sure if that's really an absolute requirement, though. The 'code
quality issues' that I remember were just the opinions of a few people
that would make them uneasy about turning it on. I don't recall anyone
trying very hard to get the default changed, so maybe that's all it
takes.

Aside from concerns about the code itself, there are upgrade/downgrade
concerns, so regardless of all that, I don't know if you'd see this
within the 1.6 series.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net