[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Breaking callbacks on unlink

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:59:15 -0600

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 18:59:54 -0600
Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> wrote:

> I have in mind now a modification to the fileserver to add an
> 'unlink queue' that has some sort of sane default limits on number
> of entries and time in the queue that would give a 15 minute to
> 1 hour residence time on an average fileserver.

I talked with chas about something like this a while ago. The only
possible problem I could see with it is that it does make it take longer
for an unlink() to actually free up space on the server. I can imagine
situations where that can make a difference and possibly somebody might
care, but I don't know how likely that is. It's probably not too bad of
a problem... zfs and I'm sure other filesystems can have similar
behavior, and while I've been greatly annoyed by that behavior in the
past, it doesn't seem to get noticed very often.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net