[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Breaking callbacks on unlink

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:22:01 -0600

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:43:22 -0500
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@your-file-system.com> wrote:

> >> It occurred to me last night why the callback is not broken on the
> >> last unlink .  Because it is a wasted message.  Breaking the callback
> >> does not guarantee that the object will in fact be deleted on the
> >> client in a timely manner because unlike with XCB there is no context
> >> to say that it has in fact been deleted.
> >
> > ? It's "deleted on the client" as much as any callback break does; all
> > of the cached information for that file would be discarded.
> >
> > It's not a waste, since the file has changed; the nlink count has gone
> > to 0 and the contents are gone.
>
> The callback does not result in the client having this information.
> The client only obtains this information when the client returns to
> the file server to request it.

And how does this make the callback break a waste? If the contents are
gone, forgoing a callback break can (and does, as we've seen) result in
inconsistent state between clients.

> yesterday in the exchanges between Troy and Simon.

The last post I see from Simon is from Saturday. Post a link or a
message-id or something?

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net