[OpenAFS-devel] Re: IPv6 Status

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:48:40 -0600

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:27:39 -0500
chas williams - CONTRACTOR <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> > Or if someone else wants to produce them, I'm fine with that, too.
>
> does a single person have to do it all?

No, but IMO a single person as a single point of responsibility helps a
lot in avoiding everybody just forgetting about it. If Steven wants to
be the person to yell at, it doesn't necessarily mean he also has to be
the person to personally do everything.

And not only does it not have to be done by one person, but many of the
tasks to do can be done completely in parallel. There's an email or two
on the -devel or stds list that give an outline of what needs to be
done, but I think they fall into three general categories:

 1. .xg RPC definitions

 2. VLDB design

 3. librx and other internal stuff (replacing 'int's with general socket
    address storage)

1 and 2 have some relationship to each other obviously, but I think they
can still be done pretty independantly. 3 is completely separate and
doesn't even depend on any standards work.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net