[OpenAFS-devel] January 2012 AFS Hackathon

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:54:51 -0500

--f46d043892919f7b9d04b69c566b

I would first like to say 'Thank you' to Sine Nomine Associates for hosting
the January 14-16 Hackathon in Leesburg, VA.  While I was not able to
attend all three days, I enjoyed the two days of design work and
development that I was able to attend.  My notes on the meeting are as
follows:

- Reviewed Extended Unions XDR draft and Tom Keiser submitted a new version
to afs3-standardization
- Discussed concerns over existing TLV draft, primarily lack of normative
reference for GetCapabilities and treating 'DAFS' as a single capability
bit.
- Discussed status of Perl modules for AFS, including AFS, AFS::Command and
AFS::Monitor which led to a discussion/coding session on libadmin.
- Reviewed libprot interface and contrasted with libvos to establish a
potential plan in how libvos might be refactored to provide a more usable
external inteface
- Andrew Deason submitted some patches to fix the building of libjafs (Java
interface)
- Discussed directory space utilization and a 'defrag' functionality.  Some
developers expressed an interest in adding that capability to the existing
volscan tool, as well as add some reporting functionality to volscan so
that admins can see how fragmented a given directory is.  There were other
discussions on even further enhancements to this.
- Discussed the in-progress Directory Object draft
- Had extensive discussion on the IPv6 situation
- Worked on allowing userspace processes to honor dbserver preferences

For the others that attended, please feel free to correct any errors or
address any oversights/omissions on my part.

Thank you,
Steven Jenkins

--f46d043892919f7b9d04b69c566b

I would first like to say 'Thank you' to Sine Nomine Associates for=
 hosting the January 14-16 Hackathon in Leesburg, VA.=A0 While I was not ab=
le to attend all three days, I enjoyed the two days of design work and deve=
lopment that I was able to attend.=A0 My notes on the meeting are as follow=
s:<br>
sion to afs3-standardization<br>- Discussed concerns over existing TLV draf=
t, primarily lack of normative reference for GetCapabilities and treating &=
#39;DAFS&#39; as a single capability bit.<br>
- Discussed status of Perl modules for AFS, including AFS, AFS::Command and=
 AFS::Monitor which led to a discussion/coding session on libadmin.<br>- Re=
viewed libprot interface and contrasted with libvos to establish a potentia=
l plan in how libvos might be refactored to provide a more usable external =
inteface<br>
- Andrew Deason submitted some patches to fix the building of libjafs (Java=
 interface)<br>- Discussed directory space utilization and a &#39;defrag&#3=
9; functionality.=A0 Some developers expressed an interest in adding that c=
apability to the existing volscan tool, as well as add some reporting funct=
ionality to volscan so that admins can see how fragmented a given directory=
 is.=A0 There were other discussions on even further enhancements to this.<=
br>
- Discussed the in-progress Directory Object draft<br>- Had extensive discu=
ssion on the IPv6 situation<br>- Worked on allowing userspace processes to =
honor dbserver preferences<br><br>For the others that attended, please feel=