[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Breaking callbacks on unlink

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:40:18 -0500

--------------enigACBB7096811FD6EB2C5AAE0A

On 1/24/2012 5:28 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:
>> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
>=20
>>> Runtime configuration is usually the worst of all available options.
>=20
>> "Usually" depends on how narrowly you're defining this situation. For
>> scenarios where the current behavior is known to be faulty but must be=

>> retained for behavior with unknown extant legacy software, I often fin=
>> runtime configuration to be the only avenue for improvement. The
>> alternative is to forever restrict functionality to maintain
>> compatibility with clients that a site may not care about. (er, or the=

>> other alternative is 'breaking' backwards compatibility, but I don't
>> really consider that an option)
>=20
> Runtime configuration is useful in this case for a migration plan, and
> then should be removed in a later version in which the new behavior is =
the
> only available option.  But it still sucks.

Runtime configuration is not an option in this case because the behavior
of whether or not a callback is broken in response to an RPC is part of
semantics of the RPC.

The way you change the semantics of an RPC is by implementing a new RPC.
 It is by implementing a new RPC that the client and server are able to
agree upon the semantics.

Jeffrey Altman