[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Breaking callbacks on unlink

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 25 Jan 2012 10:53:36 -0600

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:17:07 -0500
chas williams - CONTRACTOR <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> i think i would prefer a logical and consistent behavior as well.
> otherwise someone clever will rely on the inconsistent behavior and
> suddenly find that it is indeed inconsistent.

Well, that's the issue. Maybe someone already does rely on this
inconsistent behavior; taking it away unconditionally would break them
(which is why I wasn't suggesting doing that).

> as i understand the current implementation, it isnt quite clear to me
> what the use case would be in the current situation.  client a has a
> file open.  client b deletes it.  the fileserver continues to keep that
> file around so client a can work with it (read/write) as if the file is
> still there. when client a is done, it closes the file and the file goes
> away.  to what purpose?

Isn't this the same as the use case for the POSIX semantics on a local
fs? Someone might be still reading the data (data, configuration, ...).
Maybe you deleted a dso for a library that a running process is linked
to.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net